The ducts in your home can become contaminated due to foreign matters becoming lodged or dust or mold to be allowed to build up. One of the biggest culprits is mold caused by moisture but there are many other issues that can lead to contamination from pests to food items. There are a few precautionary steps you can take to help prevent your ducts from becoming contaminated.
* Duct Cleaning: If you have not had your ducts cleaned in several years this is a good first step. A Twin Cities Duct Cleaning will remove any existing build ups as well as common household dust.
* Air Filters: Once your ducts are clean you can look for high efficiency filters to use on your HVAC system. Change them often to ensure the air is being kept as clean as possible. Make sure your filter holders are in good condition and that there is no sign of gaps and cracks where leaks might cause air to escape without going through the filter.
* HVAC Maintenance: Make sure you schedule regular annual maintenance checks for your HVAC system and ask that they clean your drain pans and cooling coils. Make sure the humidifier with your system is also cleaned and that it is being used properly.
* Reno Cleaning: If you undergo any renovations in your home seal off your air vents and do not use heating or cooling while work is being done. It might be a good idea to have a Twin Cities duct cleaning performed when everything is done. There will be a lot of dust from saw dust to dry wall that can get caught in your ducts and than be circulated in your home.
* Cleaning: Vacuum and dust regularly. If you can afford a high efficiency vacuum with HEPA filters this is advised as they will help keep dust from being stirred up while you vacuum.
* Leaks: If you experience any leaks in your home be certain you have your ducts cleaned. If water is allowed to remain it can lead to mold and mildew which will then be distributed throughout your home.
Taking these steps will help you to keep your air ducts clean and free of mold and mildew.
For fresher, cleaner air in your home you can Call Steamatic of the Twin Cities at (651) 481-4991 to schedule a Twin Cities duct cleaning.